Who knew?

10 June 2006
Who knew that when I open my door at night to let the dogs out before bed that those pesky moths and other flying critters that like to try and get in my house would actually serve a purpose? Normally I would say that their sole purpose, besides just trying to survive in the game of life, even if it us just a bug's life, is to annoy me and tease my cats, but alas I have found a great purpose for them!

They are now mantis food!

That's right, I caught a little moth and fed it to our mantis. I stood outside with the lights on and held a jar up to the lights and watched all kinds of flying bugs enter into their doom. Well, not all of them. By the time I finally was able to get one that was substantial enough to take inside, a lot of others flew back out. But that's ok, there's always tonight, and tomorrow, and the next night...you get the idea. And yes, standing there with all those bugs flying at me was enough to make my mom crawl out of her skin!

But, it was so worth it when I got to watch the moth fly by Mr. Mantis and bite him, rip his head off and eat his body (he actually dropped the wings to the ground!) like it was corn on the cob. It was so cool that I'm gonna do it again. This time I'm going to try and video-tape it. Hey, this is science!

It's also an addiction.

At least it's better than my addiction to e-bay!


********UPDATE********
I did manage to get it on video! So cool!!!

********UPDATE #2********
I tried getting some more bugs tonight, but I wasn't enjoying the fact that they seemed to like me more than the light. So, I hope Mr. Mantis doesn't starve before I send Steve out to get some crickets. BTW, Zachary told me not to feed the mantis crickets "cause I like them". But it would have been ok if we fed him lightning bugs. WHAT???? They're cool bugs!
1:32 PM :: ::
9 Comments:
  • nerd!!!!! I'm just kidding.

    By Blogger Just Me, at 3:12 PM  
  • Tif, no you're not :-P

    By Blogger RFamily, at 4:08 PM  
  • upload you're video to you tube and let us see it.

    By Blogger Just Me, at 7:25 PM  
  • You have been keeping up very nicely with your blogger! Well, I guess the lot of us are nerds because we all want to see the video!

    By Blogger Seriousness Gone, at 12:37 AM  
  • I'm not commenting on the mantis torture!

    So, what is it you are buying on ebay? Little girls' clothing???

    By Blogger Land family, at 11:35 PM  
  • I'm buying school stuff and some education games for the boys and then I bought Steve a set of golf clubs for $1.00!!! It's dangerous business!

    By Blogger RFamily, at 8:28 AM  
  • I have a friend who may be sending me girl clothes. She's probably forgot again.

    By Blogger RFamily, at 8:28 AM  
  • I didn't forget, they are coming I promise!!!!

    By Blogger Just Me, at 10:32 AM  
  • just giving you a hard time

    By Blogger RFamily, at 4:02 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

RFamily :: permalink