Our Birth Story...

16 December 2005
I had a doctors appt on Monday at 3:50, but a friend who works at the hospital, encouraged me to call when they first opened on Monday a.m. to see if I could get my appt changed. I called and was able to get my appt changed to 10:10 am. We got there, got checked and waited for the doc to show up. He gets in there and couldn't believe I still hadn't had her. He checks me and I HAD NOT CHANGED. I asled him what my options were. I had 3 choices...1) go over to L & D and break my water and see if that changes anything, 2) have a c-section and it will all be over, or 3) wait until Thursday or Friday and see if I go into labor on my own and if not, do a c-section (with the other doc). Of course, option 3 was out, I wanted my doc!! So we selected option 1, knowing that there was a good chance we'd end up with a section, but I wanted to try for the VBAC first.



We got to L & D where they had everything already for me, but of course, I had to make a couple calls first. I get in my bed, hooked up to the monitors, get my I.V. and then my doc came over about 11am and broke my water with the fetal scalp monitor (and there was meconium, which was something I was concerned about, being 6 days late, just like Christian, who had meconium). I started having contractions, no regular pattern, but they were there. She looked great the entire time, handling the contractions. I dozed on and off. Steve and the boys were there for a little bit and then they left to get some stuff and feed them. My friend showed up with her kids for a little bit, but she had to get her foster daughter from school, so they had to leave. There was peace and quiet...and then my doc showed up. About 4:45, he came in and checked me and there was NO CHANGE! So, I told him it was time for surgery.

I was prepped, talked to by the anesthesiologist (which was really nice to know that it was a guy we used to go to church with, especially after my previous-horrible-experience with the spinal). Things moved fairly fast and we were still SANS the daddy and friend who would be watching the boys. They showed up, the nurse got finished and off I went to the O.R. Roger put the spinal in and immediately, I knew it was different than the first time. I told Roger about my experience and he said it sounded like they used to much medicine. Roger was even kind enough to give me a numbing medicine before he administered the spinal. GOD BLESS ROGER!!! It was such a laid back O.R. The whole experience, the whole team were awesome. There was joking around in the room, even with me. Steve came in and sat at my head and was told that if he wanted to watch the operation, he could. He wanted to sit with me and make sure I was ok, but he did stand up to take some pictures and was able to see what was going on. He was able to take some pictures of her over the sheet and got a picture of my stomach open. Way cool! Don't worry, I won't be sharing them!

Doc pulled her out of my stomach, as she was pooping *LOL* got her to the warming table, where she continued to poop. She was getting the meconium out of her system early. It was nice for Steve and I...we never had to deal with any of it this time. She got checked out, brought over to Steve to hold her and then I was able to look at her, touch her and kiss her and then Steve and Dr. Stacy (our AWESOME pediatrician) walked her back to our room. I got finished, sent to recovery (for 45 mins as apposed to 3 1/2 hours with Zachary) and then I was on my way to my room and our little girl.

We named our daughter ELIANA RUTH (pronounced el-ee-ah-nu). She weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 inches long. She's perfect and beautiful!! Eliana is named after my 2 grandmothers and named by her daddy. My dad's mom died when I was 10, so she never got to see her grandchildren grow up. Her name was Lena. My mom's name is Ella. I told Steve that Lena had to be part of the name somehow. He came up with Eliana and it means "God answered". Her name is perfect for my perfect little girl!

Here's the first picture of my 3 kids together. These 2 boys LOVE their baby sister and can't get enough of her!!



Here's Eliana in her going home outfit. This is very similar to the face that Zachary made in his going home picture. Some day, when I'm in the mood, I'll get the picture and I'll put the 2 side by side for you to see.

I was waiting for my guys to come get us, laying in the bed, holding the baby, when in popped Christian and then Zachary, just a little differently than when I last saw them. I immediately lost it. It's grown on me since, but man, was that a shock to the system.

So, here's the 3 of them before we left the hospital. Also, notice the orange cast...after we left my hospital room, we went across the street and the cast is OFF!!! So, from now on, we won't have casts in the pictures!

Zachary LOVES being a big brother! He always wants to hold his sister and kisses her NON-STOP.

Christian's used to be a big brother, but this time it's different. He's older and now he has a sister. He wants to hold her all the time. I think this picture is too sweet not to share!

And there is purposely no pictures of me. Not that you're reading this and wanting to see me. It's all about the baby :-)

So there you have it...the birth of my daughter Eliana. Some details have been left out, but you got the over all idea. Now, just to give you heads up (I will not mention your names, but you know who you are *wink*), I will not be posting all the time. 3 kids, recovering from surgery, our Christmas play on Sunday, a few appts during the week, Christmas and then my parents coming...things are going to be pretty hectic around here.

5:41 PM :: ::
7 Comments:
  • She is beautiful Steph. Congradulations again. I hope you guys have a very merry christmas with your new little one and her big brothers.

    By Blogger Heather Noel, at 7:09 PM  
  • Pictures where?!?! I see from the below comment that you named her Eliana. Love it-gorgeous and classy. I want pictures! I want pictures!

    So sorry to hear you had to have another c-section. :(

    By Blogger Land family, at 10:56 PM  
  • Okay, so for some reason NOW I can see the pictures! She is precious. I see both of your boys in her coming home shot, and I love the ones of them all together. Beautiful!

    Stephanie, don't wait until Christmas to open the presents for Eliana that I sent. Congratulations again!

    By Blogger Land family, at 11:01 PM  
  • Congrats Richards family! Good work Stephanie! She is absolutely adorable. I think she definitely looks a little like both of your boys, with her own special touch. Shoot, if I were you I don't think I'd be postng for 2 months. Here's to a speedy, peaceful recovery and some good ole family time this season!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 AM  
  • Woo hoo!!!! Thanks for the update and the story. Sorry you had to go through another c-section, stubborn girls. LOL. She is precious!!!!

    By Blogger Just Me, at 9:28 AM  
  • Beautiful little girl!!! So glad everything went good for ya'll, your Christmas is now complete...

    By Blogger Mommy, at 7:00 PM  
  • Ok maybe just a pic or two???? got your christmas card with the birth announcement in it and it took me a few minutes to find the surprise you were talking about but I found it and it was beautiful!!!!! So now how bout a picture???

    By Blogger Just Me, at 2:58 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

RFamily :: permalink